Current Fee Resolution:
Resolution No. 2020-02
Increase in State Fee for Commercial and Residential Projects as of July 1, 2018:
April 12, 2018 Letter from Richard Brown, Managing Director, State Building Code Council
Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing
An electrical , mechanical and plumbing permit is required for most work
- An electrical permit is required for any change to a wiring system
- A mechanical permit is required to replace a furnace, add an air conditioning system, etc.
- A plumbing permit is required for any new plumbing work or replacing a water heater
NOTE: If you have questions on whether a permit is needed, please contact city hall.
Why do I need these permits?
Washington State Code and the City of Granite Falls regulates construction to ensure it is safe and code compliant. City consultants provide inspections for permitted work and verify compliance with the appropriate code.
In addition, permits and inspectors help to safeguard persons and property from hazards that arise from improper installation. Examples of the benefits of pulling a permit include:
- Improper venting of an appliance may cause exhaust gases from a fuel burning appliance to enter occupied areas. Your inspector can help prevent this.
- Inspections ensure that drainage fittings, water piping, gas piping, and water heaters are all installed properly.
- For a water heater, earthquake straps are inspected because they prevent structural damage and the gas pipe from rupturing during an earthquake.
- The City of Granite Falls does not permit or inspect for electrical permits. You can apply through the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries at this link
Miscellaneous Building Permit Information
Building size limitations which require a permit = 200 SF or higher
Snow Load = 25 pounds per square foot
Wind = 110 mph
3 second gust
Frost Depth = 18″
Seismic Zone = D-1
Elevation = 391 ft. (survey monument next to city hall)
Building Codes: (Ordinance No. 913-2016 – Adopting the 2015 Building Codes)
2015 International Building Code (IBC)
2015 International Residential Code
2015 International Existing Building Code
2015 International Property Maintenance Code
2015 International Mechanical Code
2015 Uniform Plumbing Code
2015 International Fuel Gas Code
2015 International Swimming Pool & Spa Code
2015 International Fire Code
2015 Washington State Residential Energy Code
Contract Building Inspectors:
Tim Nordtvedt = Plans Examiner, Inspector
Dick Lachapelle = Inspector
Require 24 hours notice. Please contact Becky Aiken, Deputy City Clerk to schedule (360) 691-6441 or Becky.Aiken@ci.granite-falls.wa.us